Our VPN for routers immediately protects your internet privacy and security while giving you full internet freedom and instant access to content streaming.
Connect every device in your home or office with a Plug & Play SaferVPN Router.
This tutorial provides a step by step guide on how to setup PPTP on a DD-WRT router:
Login to your Router Administrator Console
- Connect to the internet and launch the web browser on your computer.
- You need to know your router’s local IP address to access the administrator login page.
- In most cases, the local IP address is 18.104.22.168; however, we do have a comprehensive list handy. You can find it here.
- On the login page, you are prompted to enter the username and password.
If you are accessing the login page for the first time, use the default username (either “root” or “admin”) and password (“admin” or “password”) combinations.
If you do not know your administrator credentials, you need to factory reset the router (using a reset button on the device) and try the default username/password combination.
Configure PPTP VPN settings
DD-WRT is a popular third-party, wireless router firmware that can be used to customize the router’s original software to support additional features such as VPN services.
Before you can configure PPTP on a router, you need to ensure that the DD-WRT firmware version installed on your router supports PPTP client.
- Enable PPTP client on your DD-WRT router: Under Services Tab > VPN > PPTP Client, click on Enable radio button (this is disabled by default).
- Now, you can see a few newer options for you to configure:
- Enter one of the SaferVPN server names in the Server IP or DNS Name field.
- Set MTU and MRU values to 1450 and 1450 respectively.
- Enable NAT.
- Enter your SaferVPN username and password.
- MPPE Encryption please enter "mppe required,no40,no56,stateless"
- Do not edit Remote Subnet and Remote Subnet Mask options.
- Click Save and Apply Settings, or directly Apply Settings.
- You will be notified of the changes, after which you can proceed with connecting to the PPTP VPN
- Reboot your router to apply the new settings. Under Administration Tab > Management sub-section, there is an option to reboot the router.
- To disable the Firewall settings on your dd-wrt router follow the steps given below:
Go to Security and click on the Firewall tab
Click Disable on the SPI Firewall option
- To setup the VPN, click on the VPN Passthrough tab (from Security)
- Now Enable the PPTP Passthrough option
- Now click on Apply Settings
- Then click on Reboot Router and wait until the router restarts.
- The connection to the VPN is now created.