This guide aims at allowing you to use your SaferVPN subscription on your Ubuntu system.
SaferVPN currently does not have a dedicated application for Ubuntu, therefore we suggest this manual setup to get the best out of the service.
Please make sure you have signed up before proceeding with the tutorial.
A. Create a Connection
- Open Network Settings, hover the mouse on VPN Connections and click on Configure VPN.
- Click on the VPN tab. (In case the Add button on the VPN tab is grayed out, follow the instructions below to install the PPTP plugin)
- Click on the Add button
- For the Connection Type, please select Point-to-point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP)
- Click Create
B. Configure the Connection
- Specify the Connection name as SaferVPN (or another indicative name)
- Per your needs, type one of the following SaferVPN server hostnames in the Gateway field
- Enter your SaferVPN Username (email) and Password in the matching fields
- Click Advanced
- Check the Use Point-to-Point encryption (MPPE) option
- Click the OK, and then click on Save
- Close the Network Manager applet
- Make sure to restart the Network Manager (can be done in terminal by using "sudo /etc/init.d/network-manager restart")
- In case IPv6 is enabled on your machine you will have to temporarily disable in terminal by the command: sudo echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/disable_ipv6
C. Connecting to the VPN
- Click on the Network Manager icon on the top right hand of your screen
- Point to VPN Connections, and then select the VPN configuration that you've just created, to start the connection process
- During the connection establishment process, the network icon will blink for about 5-20 seconds
- Once you are connected to SaferVPN, you will notice a lock badge on the network icon
How to install the Network Manager PPTP plugin (if needed at step A-2)
- Go to the System menu in the taskbar, expand the Administration menu and click on Synaptic Package Manager
- In the search box, enter PPTP and press enter
- Click the box next to network-manager-pptp and select Mark for installation.
In case the network-manager-pptp option is marked, exit the Synaptic Package Manager and proceed to the VPN setup instructions
- The system may prompt you to install additional necessary items. Click on Mark to select the additional items
- Click the green check mark in the toolbar to apply all selected changes and install the PPTP plugin
- Click Apply to apply the changes
- Close the Synaptic Package Manager applet
- Proceed with the above VPN configuration instructions