OpenVPN setup on Mikrotik router
- Log into the Mikrotik router, using the standard username “admin”, with a blank password.
- Setup the DNS servers manually to Google DNS: IP -> DNS -> Settings -> Servers.
Enter 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52 as shown below.
- Write down the default gateway IP address of your Internet provider (ISP) and remove the default-route (Dst. Address = 0.0.0.0/0 routed via your ISP GW) from the routing table.
- If you don't use DHCP Client,
Go to IP -> DHCP Client and disable the "Add Default Route" option.
- Your routing table should not contain any default route now. See the screen below.
- Add new static route to your routing table. Dst. address is an IP address of the VPN server you want connect to. Gateway is the default gateway IP address of your Internet provider (ISP).
- Setup the OVPN client according to the screens below.
Then click on the PPP tab on the left-side menu. This will open the Interface tab.
Now click on the + sign and select OVPN Client.
Connect To: Choose any server IP or hostname from one of the SaferVPN servers. Please refer How to find SaferVPN server IP.
Username: SaferVPN Username.
Password: SaferVPN password.
- Status should appear as connected once you click Apply.
- Please check your interfaces and routing table again. The correct configuration should look similar to the screen below.
Once you are done, you can check your location by clicking here.