Our VPN for routers immediately protects your internet privacy and security while giving you full internet freedom and instant access to content streaming.
Connect every device in your entire home or office with a Plug & Play SaferVPN Router.
In order to set up SaferVPN on DD-WRT router, follow our step by step guide detailed below:
Setup SaferVPN on DD-WRT router
SaferVPN automatically picks the best VPN protocol for you. However, if you wish to decide which protocol suits you the best, you can refer to our exclusive guide on what VPN tunnel protocols are and how to choose the one that fits your needs best.
Login to your Router Administrator Console
- Connect to the internet and launch the web browser on your computer.
- You need to know your router’s local IP address to access the administrator login page.
- In most cases, the local IP address is 192.168.1.1; however, we do have a comprehensive list handy. You can find it here.
- On the login page, you are prompted to enter the Router’s username and password.
If you are accessing the login page for the first time, use the default username (either “root” or “admin”) and password (“admin” or “password”) combinations.
If you do not know your administrator credentials, you need to factory reset the router (using a reset button on the device) and try the default username/password combination.
Configure L2TP VPN settings
- Go to Setup tab and then select Basic Setup
- Now select L2TP from the Connection Type drop down menu
- In the Gateway enter the IP address of the SaferVPN server you want to connect to. You can find all the available server names here
- Enter your SaferVPN username and password
- Select Yes next to Use DHCP
- In the Optional Settings, change MTU to Manual and type the value 1460
- Now set STP as Disabled
- In the Network Setup, enter the IP address for the DD-WRT access point
- Select DHCP Server next to DHCP Type and set DHCP Server as Enabled
- Verify all the inputs and click Apply Settings
- Now go to the Security tab and select Firewall. Here, set SPI Firewall to Disable
- Go to VPN Passthrough and select Enabled next to L2TP Passthrough. Click on Apply settings
- Go to Administration tab scroll down and click Reboot router button. This will reboot your router.
After the reboot is done, L2TP VPN on DD-WRT Routers is set up. You can check the connection going to Status tab and select WAN from there. Login status should be connected. If it says disconnected click on Connect button and wait for about 1 minute. After that the connection should be established. You can check if you are connected to a VPN server by going to www.whatismyip.com and see if your IP is changed.