When you are connected to SaferVPN, the network traffic first flows from your computer to one of the SaferVPN’s server, then to your destination and visa-verse. In this process, only the response time of your network should be affected and not the throughput speed.
Here Response time is how you switch from one page to another and the Throughput is the downloading/uploading speed of a single file.
The speed issues may be because:
- When there is network congestion between your PC and SaferVPN’s server.
- When there is network congestion between SaferVPN’s server and the destination.
This may vary depending upon your location and the location of the destination.
Speed Issues Troubleshooting steps
SaferVPN monitors its servers and ensures that the SaferVPN servers always have sufficient bandwidth and processing power in the peak hours. Thus if you are facing speed issues you can try the following steps:
- Switching the SaferVPN Server Location: Most often the geographical location of the VPN server affects the speed. Try to establish a connection from some other server locations near to you and check if your ISP’s network connectivity improves. Please refer How to find SaferVPN Server.
- Level of Encryption: The VPN speed varies depending upon the level of security it is providing. A more secure encryption level (IKEv2, PPTP, L2TP, OpenVPN – etc) means slower speed. You can try a different VPN protocol.
- Internet Connection vs VPN speed: You can also check your internet speed with VPN connection as well as without a VPN connection. It is always recommended to have a fast internet connection to minimize the loss in speed. You can check the speed here.
Whenever you speed test then the speed test site automatically chooses a server that is closest to your current location, thus in this case speed of the server you want to connect to, may vary from the speed of the server nearest to your location.
- Wired Connection vs Wireless Connection: If possible use a wired connection. The rate at which your VPN encrypts and transmits packets of data is increased through a wired connection when compared with a wireless medium channel which may include multiple devices.
- Firewalls and Security Settings: Check your Firewall settings. Although this is just for a temporary check, you can disable your firewall and security software and see if these settings are contributing to your VPN speed issues.
- Change Device: Not all the devices have processors that are able to produce high speeds. VPN connection utilizes heavy encryption that interrupts these devices ability to provide efficient speed. Sometimes, you just have to switch your device and see.
Speed test instructions
Before we begin, things that we should keep in mind:
When you go to speedtest.net, it automatically selects the nearest server from your location to give you the best speed. Whereas, when you are connected to a VPN service you select a server that is comparatively far away from your current location, thus the speed decreases.
We would like you to change the location to the target one, let's say "Netherlands".
Follow the steps as given below when you are not Connected to the SaferVPN Server:
- Go to speedtest.net (without connecting to VPN)
- Change your location from the Change Server button (without connecting to VPN)
- Now run the Speedtest (without connecting to VPN), this will show you the speed between your Internet Service Provider (ISP) and a server in Amsterdam.
The speed is less than half of the speed that we get when we do the speed test with a server in Israel (see image below for reference)
Now, follow the above steps from 1-3 when you are Connected to the SaferVPN Server (ex: - Netherlands).
For me, there is almost no speed loss
- The speed from step 3 is lowered by more than 20-30% OR
- You are trying to connect to a server very close to your current location (for ex:- Netherlands customer to Netherlands server) =>Please change the protocols depending on the device you are using.
By following the above-mentioned steps you can increase your internet speed. Using a premium VPN service always add benefits as you can choose servers of your choice and can thus result in a better speed. Here are the locations of our provided VPN servers.