To setup your Synology device via PPTP protocol, follow our step by step guide described below:
PPTP Setup interface on Synology NAS
SaferVPN recommends you to turn off IPv6 traffic from leaking outside of the VPN tunnel before enabling VPN on your Synology device. In order to turn off the IPv6 follow the steps given below:
- Login to your Synology device using a valid administrator-rights credentials and go to Control Panel and click on Network.
- Click on the Network Interface tab, expand the LAN menu and click on Edit.
- Click on the IPv6 tab in the Edit menu. From IPv6 setup select Off from the dropdown and click OK.
Create a new VPN Connection
- To create a new VPN profile return to the Network Interface from the Control Panel > Network > Network Interface.
Now select Create and go to Create VPN profile.
- After you click on the Create VPN profile you will see VPN Connection Method screen. From the screen select PPTP and click on Next.
- Now you will be redirected to the General Settings screen, fill the input fields as described below and click Next.
A. Profile Name : Anything you want, this is just for identifying the VPN profile when having multiple of them. Use e.g. SaferVPN_PPTP or VPN Test or something that fits to your vpn server choice.
B. Server Address : This needs to be a Server IP or Hostname from one of SaferVPN servers. Please refer How to find SaferVPN Server IP.
C. Username : Your SaferVPN Account Username.
D. Password : Your SaferVPN Account Password.
- After you click on Next it will take you to the Advanced Settings screen, select the following details and click on Apply.
A. Authentication : MS CHAP v2
B. Encryption : Maximum MPPE (128 bits)
C. Use default gateway on remote network : Activated
D. Allow other network devices to connect through this Synology server’s Internet connection : Only activate if required
E. Reconnect when the VPN connection is lost : Activated
- On the Network Interface screen you will now be able to see the new VPN profile. Click on the new VPN profile and then click Connect and wait till it shows the status as Connected.